Who We Are
Set up in 2014, MAPSSS is a voluntary organisation officially representing parents of students attending state schools in Malta. It aims to act as a reference point and to strengthen partnership among parents, educators and the Maltese Educational Authorities and Policy Makers.
Aims and Objectives
- To act as a reference point officially representing parents of students attending state schools in Malta;
- To establish and strengthen partnership among parents, educators and the Maltese Educational Authorities and Policy Makers;
- To constructively voice the parents’ position on matters related to their children’s holistic education and well-being in Maltese state schools;
- To facilitate and participate in discussion fora between parents and pertinent stakeholders regarding matters and challenges related to their children’s education and well-being in state schools;
- To promote and present the interests of the Organisation’s Members to the notice of local administration and authorities, international organisations and other bodies;
- To provide and disseminate studies and educational literature so that parents will be familiar with examples of good practice both in Malta and abroad;
- To provide training opportunities for parents as part of a life-long learning and life-wide programme to support their children in their schooling;
- To form part of any national/international Organisation/s whose aims are similar to that of the Organisation;
- To raise funds by means of subscription of Members or otherwise for all the purposes and objectives of the Organisation in such amounts and in such manner as may be authorised by the Executive Committee;
- To do all that which is ancillary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.
The idea of forming the association started late in 2012 by a small group of parents (who eventually became its founder-members). During 2013, the discussions with the authorities had to be paused due to the general elections, change in government and a period of time to allow the new administration to settle down. MAPSSS was registered as a Voluntary Organisation with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations in March of 2014.
Primarily MAPSSS has been set-up to work towards the strengthening of the concept of parental participation in state schools and to be one of the stakeholders in the educational sector in Malta working alongside the main players in this area in the interest of students – our children.
MAPSSS vision is to achieve national consensus on the fundamental policies and the strategic direction of such a sensitive and important sector in Malta. Since its inception, MAPSSS has managed to fill in a vacuum that was long felt as now it is considered as the focal point the Ministry for Education and Employment and other stakeholders can refer to when it comes to parents and state school education.